Baby Bolin

Countdown to Baby Bolin's arrival!

Monday, October 09, 2006

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Baby Bolin: 28 weeks

By this week, Baby Jeffrey weighs a little over 2 pounds and measures about 14.8 inches from the top of his head to is heels.

He can open his eyes — which now sport lashes — and he'll turn his head toward a continuous, bright light from the outside.

His fat layers are beginning to form, too, as he gets ready for life outside the womb.

How mom's life is changing:
You're in the home stretch! The third trimester starts this week and lasts until 40 weeks.

If you're like most women, you'll gain about 11 pounds this trimester.

Do your legs feel creepy-crawly at night? Tingling in your lower legs and an irresistible urge to move them is known as restless legs syndrome (RLS), and it can make it hard to relax when you're settling in. No one knows what causes RLS, but it's common among pregnant women. Try cutting down on caffeine, which can make the symptoms worse, and massage your calves when they feel tense. Some studies also show that taking iron supplements helps ease your discomfort.

At this point, you may visit your doctor or midwife every two weeks; then, at 36 weeks, you'll switch to weekly visits. Depending upon your risk factors, your practitioner may recommend repeating blood tests for HIV and syphilis, plus cultures for chlamydia and gonorrhea during your third trimester, to be certain of your status before delivery. (Identifying and treating these infections is crucial for your health and your baby's.) And if the blood work done at your first prenatal visit showed that you're Rh negative, you'll receive an injection of Rh immunoglobulin to prevent your body from developing antibodies that could attack your baby's blood. If your baby's biological father is also Rh negative, the shot isn't necessary, but most practitioners will do it routinely rather than test the father. (You'll receive another shot of Rh immunoglobulin after you give birth if your baby is Rh positive.)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We went to Target today and bought a fetal heart monitor so that we could hear Jeffrey's heartbeat, kicks, and hiccups! It has two headsets so that we could listen at the same time.
We tested out the monitor in the parking lot of Target. I was in the front seat reclining in Mom and Dads car. We all got to hear his little kicks and his strong heartbeat.
The reason we bought the monitor was because I was concerned that Jeffrey's movements had slowed down after I received the Rh negative shot last week. He seems fine and I will see the doctor soon. We all had fun listening and laughing at the weird noises.
I think that I can download the noises on the computer and email them. I will try to figure out how to do it tomorrow. We love you!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Kenny and Jen said...

Glad that Jeffrey seems fine and the the shot went okay.

Let me know if you can send the noises! I want to hear them!!!

It is such a bummer being so far away :(

Can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Matt, Kelly, Eli, and Ethan said...

Jamie, Don't worry Kelly said Eli's movements slowed down as well. When we asked the doctor he said of course he won't move as much ..it's getting tight in there!

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesterday Jeffrey let me know that he is doing fine. From 5:00 in the morning to 11:00 at night he was moving non stop! I am sure he will be tired today from all his playing yesterday :)

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got home this morning at 10:00 and Jeffrey was still kicking. I watched Jamie's belly bulge out and move around like jello!
I decided to blow on her belly and Jeffrey kicked me right in the face!!!!!!!!
It is just amazing to see and feel the little guy.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Kenny and Jen said...

He kicked you in the face?!? That made me laugh! :) He was just saying hi for your birthday!

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home